9 Health Benefits and Tips on Kale
Why Kale? What is so incredibly powerful behind this green guy that so many are raving about? Kale has been nicknamed “The New Beef” and is a powerhouse greenie that packs some serious nutrient-dense goodness.
Why We Love Kale:
1) Kale is high in Calcium. Get this… Kale has more calcium per calorie than a glass of milk. Calcium is so important for healthy bones and teeth and helps to prevent Osteoporosis and a healthy bone mineral density.
2) Kale is high in Iron. Hold the beef – per calorie Kale had more iron than beef. Iron deficiency (Anemia) is one of the most common nutrient deficiency’s around the world. Pack in this powerful plant and reap the benefits that iron brings the body, including hemoglobin (blood) production, brings oxygen to the body’s cells, aids muscle and brain function, and helps to prevent chronic disease.
3) Kale is packed with Fiber. Help out your digestion and elimination process in the body. Fiber also aids in lowering risk of heart disease and diabetes.
4) Kale is filled with Vitamin C. We love Vitamin C, and any greenie that gives you a big serve, we say go for it! Vitamin C boosts the immune system, and aids in preventing cardiovascular problems, stroke, depression, and prenatal health issues.
5) Kale is filled with Vitamin A. Look no further! Fulfill your daily requirement of Vitamin A with one serving of kale. This daily boost aids vision, skin, and creating a healthy immune system.
6) Kale is high in anti-oxidants. Kale is a great source of beta-carotene, which is believed to be a big fighter against cancer, heart disease, and chronic illness. Yes please, I will take my dose of anti-oxidants in a glass filled with juiced green goodness!
7) How to eat it? Kale can be steamed, raw, or juiced. We love it in salads, juices, steamed, and added to soups.
Top Tip: When eating kale in salad, shred the leaf away from the stem and discard the stem. Set the shredded kale leaves in a bowl and sprinkle lightly with sea salt and lemon juice to allow leaves to break down and open the flavor. You can even give the leaves a bit of a squeeze with your hands to help them break down.
Top Tip: When steaming kale, simply steam for approx 5 min and enjoy with other veggies, lemon juice, sea salt, or your favorite herbs.
Top Tip: When juicing kale, use about 3-4 leaves and shred the leaves away from the stem (which can give a bitter taste).
8) Try to buy Organic. There are lot of nasties and pesticides that are sprayed on the popular plant. We suggest going organic whenever possible for your dark leafy greens. The organic nutrient dense goodness it provides is worth the price! (Hint: If you drink coffee, skip a coffee a few times a week and instead by some organic greens for your next green juice or salad).
9) Want to grow it? Forget the grocery store and grow your own kale in a pot. If you have a backyard, front porch, or small balcony you can grow some healthy organic kale plants right in the comfort of home. Kale likes cooler weather but can grow up to 80 F (just ensure to keep it in the shade).
Need some inspiration? Check out this kale recipe for a yummy salad to try with any dish!
Otherwise, we hope you get your Green Mo’ on with a kale inspired juice!